Just for fun, I thought I’d offer you a blog about my homestate. If you ever get a chance to visit The Natural State, don’t hesitate. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Tracy Lawrence, Billy Bob Thornton, Mark Martin, Scottie Pippen, Jerry Jones, Maya Angelou, John Grisham, Charlaine Harris, and of course, Bill Clinton are all from Arkansas.
We have several colleges here, but the majority of Arkansans are Arkansas Razorback fans.
Arkansas was the 25th state in the union.
Our bird is the Mockingbird, our tree is the Pine (seriously, how boring) our flower is the Apple Blossom, our insect is the Honey Bee (as it should be…Melissa means Honey Bee)our mammal is the White-Tailed Deer, our fish is large mouthed bass, our gem is the Diamond (did you know we have a diamond mine? It’s true!) our rock is Quartz, our state beverage (AM NOT KIDDING YOU) is milk (heh) and our state instrument is the fiddle.
In 1972, dinosaur fossils were found near Locksburg, AR. The dinosaur is informally known as the Arkansaurus which means Arkansas Lizard. (can I tell you how much I LOVE that?)
There was a war fought in Arkansas in 1874 over election results. Brooks-Baxter War was fought between the locals (scalawags) and the non-natives (carpetbaggers). It was a real war and had to be put to an end by President US Grant.
Dave Rudabaugh is our famous cowboy…he rode with Billy the Kid and he was played by Christian Slater in Young Guns II.
George Straight’s newest album (TWANG) features a song about Arkansas Dave
I grew up a half a mile from the geographical center of Arkansas.
- It is illegal to mispronounce Arkansas while in the state. It must be pronounced “Arkansaw.”
- It is illegal for dogs to bark after 6:00 p.m. in Fayetteville.
- While it is legal to shoot bears in Arkansas, waking a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking a photograph is prohibited.
- It is illegal to keep an alligator in your bathtub in Arkansas.
- The state prohibits moose from being viewed from airplanes. Furthermore, it is against the law to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.
- An Arkansas law provides that school teachers who bob their hair will not get a raise. (surely this isn’t still on the books!)
- It is unlawful to walk one’s cow down Fayetteville’s Main Street after 1:00 PM on Sunday.
- In the state of Arkansas a man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month. (okay, if this is still on the books we have a real problem)
- In Little Rock, no person shall sound the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9:00 p.m.
- Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock can result in a 30-day jail term. (uh oh)
Don’t you wanna come visit me now? Especially so you can get rowdy and walk your cow down Fayetteville’s Main Street after 1:00 on Sunday. Or look at a Moose from an airplane! (I will not support the pushing of a moose from an airplane. you wanna break that law, you’re on your own!)