This has been a helluva year. Before I recap the good and the bad, let me share my holiday break with you…
Christmas day… We had a great holiday. The boys arrived home from their dad’s around noon. We opened gifts, enjoyed the day…then headed to nonnie’s house for Chili and more gifts.
My niece, Double A, tried to steal my sparkle! Can you believe that?
All the boys (including El Jefe) received Wife Beaters in their stockings… Yes, we were dreaming of a white trash Christmas…
Next year’s Christmas card, maybe?
I’m not sure which Rader liked more, his iPhone or his Hulk Hands. haha.
Christmas night, the sleet an snow came down with a vengeance. We lost several trees and the eerie sound of limbs crashing to the ground all night was really creepy. It was beautiful, but I was over it after about 15 hours. 18 of those we were without power, and we were very lucky. The boys’ dad was without power from Tuesday – Sunday. No thank you.
Now…let’s talk about 2012 and why I’m glad it’s over…
What I loved about the year:
- My friends. The people who love me and care about me no matter what. They have supported me through a very tough time. They knew I was trying to hold it together, and when I pulled away, they pulled me back. I am very lucky. So very lucky to have them in my life.
- My love. We have been through a very rough year financially. It could have killed our relationship, but we are stronger than ever. And 2013 is looking fantastic. I’m very lucky to have this man in my life.
- My boys. I’ve never been closer to them. They are the one thing I’ve done right in my life. Maybe even the only thing. I am so proud of the young men they are becoming. And I can’t wait to see what 2013 brings to them.
Why I’m ready to kick the door closed on 2012:
- Being a one income family. It wasn’t easy. It wasn’t fun. I fought depression…I adopted the mantra “Fake it til you make it” and I’m ready to stop faking it. I don’t do fake very well.
- My health. I had complications from a procedure last February that lasted all year. We finally figured the problem out in October, and it looks like it’s finally getting better. Of course, as a result of this issue, I’ve gained weight. I’ve been sad. I’ve stopped exercising. That is all changing.
- Loss. I’ve lost friends this year. I have always been the one who reaches out to people. I’m the fun one, the sparkler, bright and shiny and happy. And for a few months last year, I couldn’t be that person anymore. And the people who know me and want me in their life reached out to me. And there are a few who didn’t. Who took my absence as a reflection on them not on me. And I’m so sad. I miss them terribly, but I was trying to patch my life together and I didn’t have the energy or the life left to reach out and mend the tatters. I just couldn’t do it. Maybe this year I’ll find the strength to recover the loss, because I do feel the emptiness without them in my life.
2013 is looking bright. We are a double income family again. We are lucky to have the support of our family and friends. And I’m very much looking forward to what this year has to offer. Bring 13. Bring it hard.
Sparkle on, my pretties. Have a fantastic New Year’s Eve and please be safe. If it doesn’t rain, I plan on lighting up the firepit and ringing in 2013 with my family. It’s gonna be a good night. Cheers!
I'm glad your 2013 is looking up, Mel. Sometimes you just have to take time for yourself and concentrate on yourself. It's tough to always be the one giving, so those "friends" who couldn't give back to you when you needed it maybe weren't such "friends" after all. It's sad when it happens, but it's also how the cycle of life goes.I'm afraid our 2013 isn't going to be so joyful. Our mothers are both aging and in very ill health so we may be facing their funerals this year. But I'll leave it up to God to decide when the best time is to call them home.I'm still blessed with a wonderful husband, two great daughters and sons-in law and two beautiful grandsons. Oh, and my Katy Tigers won the Texas 5A Division II State Championship this year – our 7th title (6th since 1997). What a present that was!Hugs,MJ